De Zalm's history dates back to 1515. Brewery and inn "De Salm" was located a few meters from its current location, at the corner of the "Grote Markt" and the "Zandstraat" (today a jewellery store).

In 1870, the manager Eduardus Danckaerts moved his business. He changed places to the lodging and inn "In den Hertog van Brabant", right across town hall, and altered the name into "De Zalm". Danckaerts passed away in 1871, and his widow continued business until 1911.

In that year, the Verhaegen family took over. Verhaegens wife (and in 1920 widow) , has a new building constructed in 1926. The facade of this building still stands today.

Her daughter Maria was to become legendary, as was the bartender Wies. Maria continues to run the hotel until a ripe old age.

Since 1993, the complex (hotel, café, bistro, movie theatre, event hall) have been run by her grandson Frank Rastelli.
Stacks Image 88
Stacks Image 89